The Southern Head Long Island Lighthouse was once called the East End Long Island Lighthouse. In fact, in 2009, this older structure was dismantled and replaced by a modern 9 metre aluminum structure powered by solar energy. This new lighthouse is still referred to as the East End Long Island Lighthouse by mariners using the coast guard List to Light book and is number 340.
It is located on the eastern end of Long Island, on the south side of Notre Dame Bay. Lat. 49 35 18.2 North, Long. 055 43 29.3 West. It is Newfoundland’s oldest lighthouse and second oldest light station.
This historical older structure was built in 1904 to warn vessels of shoals in the area as they travelled in Notre Dame Bay. The Southern Head Lighthouse is a cast iron cylinder at 10.6 metres high (35 feet). It originally stood at 31 metres above sea level. It had a dwelling for the light keeper and their family, who would insure that the kerosene light remained lite. The three early light keepers were Ed Parsons, Samuel Short and Joseph Burton.
In 1931, the light house was automated with the use of a gas light and this eliminated the need for a light keeper. Then, in 1987, there was a conversion to solar energy. It was completely restored in 1990. This Southern Head Long Island Lighthouse is invaluable to our history and culture.
The lighthouse keepers had their families with them. Their children were often home schooled. They farmed the land and kept root cellars. There are still descendants of the lighthouse keepers living on Long Island today. Residents have fond memories of those who helped to bring supplies and maintain the building.
Visitors will find the lighthouse near the ferry dock when arriving on Long Island. A picnic area will also surround the lighthouse upon completion of the project.